Link to the original post 

In Stommel’s article, he argues that ignoring students’ identity as subjective human beings and expecting fixed learning outcomes are problematic. I agree with this claim; ‘What technology should instructors apply to optimize students’ learning outcome?’ was my biggest concern when I was creating a learning design named interactive learning resources in EDCI 335. As the creator of the learning design, I subconsciously assumed that every student could follow the given instruction and progress; I did not realize the potential barriers that my students may confront. Students may experience technical issues because of insufficient technology support, or maybe they could have a hard time balancing a conflicting work schedule with the course. The learning outcome is indeed the most crucial objective that instructors want to achieve; however, we must not forgo our students’ other identities as workers, parents, sons, daughters, etc. I believe that incorporating considerations of potential barriers that students may encounter in course teaching and designing can improve the learning experience and achieve better learning outcomes.

While online learning management systems provide instructors with a platform designed for delivery, the system assumes students’ and instructors’ experiences always identical. Stommel refutes this assumption by stating that lesson plans and learning experiences apply distinctively with every teacher, student, and situation. (Stommel, 2018) Even though online courses could provide time and location convenience for both learners and teachers, students’ needs can be easily ignored behind the screen; to fix this situation, a more flexible classroom allowing more interactions and development of relationships needs to be designed. 

Stommel then argues that the literacy of using technology is more important than what technology to apply. The core of technology application is to support students and enhance their learning experience. As instructors, we should aim to apply technology in the best way instead of searching for the ‘best technology application.’ I agree with Stommel’s claim that there is no need to distinguish traditional pedagogy with digital pedagogy or improve the delivery of data and learning resources. The best pedagogy is the one that instructors can help students and enhance their learning experience by listening and communicating. 

Communicating and collecting feedback may be challenging in open and distributed pedagogy compared with a face-to-face one. Communication has to take place in the way of email, text, or phone call. Although some may think this form of communication may be demanding for instructors, I would argue that patience and care are especially important. In the two years of studying at uvic, I find myself successful in courses taught by instructors who concerned about students. Those instructors motivated me to pose questions, reflect upon learnings, and move beyond classes. I believe that students have a better chance of succeeding in courses that they build a strong relationship with instructors. Learning becomes active and engaging in a conscious way. There’s an ancient Greek definition of education that I would like to share, “the aim of education is to lift the human being out of his/her original nature into his/her ideal nature, which consists of intelligence, affection, and will, harmoniously working together for their own perfection; and we concluded that the best education is that which best accomplishes this object.” (Davidson, 1999)

Reference

Davidson, T. (1999). The education of the Greek people. Bristol: Thoemmes.

Stommel, J. (2018). An urgency of teachers: The work of critical digital pedagogy. Hybrid Pedagogy.