Post #4

In this article, the author proposes a new pedagogy, OER-enabled pedagogy, which can only operate within the context of 5Rs. (Wiley, 2018) The 5Rs of open educational resources include retain, reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute. By providing evidence of learning outcomes, the author argues that the adoption of OER-enabled pedagogy can lead to positive learning results.
In his illustration of OER-enabled pedagogy’s examples, one particular case stands out for me. A professor at the University of British Columbia asked the students to present their Latin American literary text on Wikipedia. This learning approach allows students to present their work to the public. The author argues that students will be motivated to learn and finish the assignment more actively and engagingly. Moreover, he indicates that this learning approach is also reflective, meaning that students need to re-read and re-consider their work. I find this example very powerful, and if possible, I would like to include this learning approach in my future curriculum design. In the last term, I had to work on a group presentation of a beginner German class. Unlike the traditional presentations which take place during the class session, we had to record our presentations and upload them on Youtube. To be honest, I felt nothing different during the recording process, and I regard this assignment as an ordinary one. However, my view was shifted when I started uploading the recorded videos on Youtube. I began thinking questions like: is my pronunciation authentic. Was the script written grammatically? Does it make sense to the audience? Through reflections, I discovered many mistakes we made, and my group eventually decided to refilm parts of the video to deliver a better presentation.
In this article, although the author used much research evidence to support his argument; however, little voice of the learners is heard. I would consider that this pedagogy could lead to positive potential learning outcomes, but it can only occur with the learners’ cooperation.

Reference,

Wiley, D. & Hilton, J. (2018). Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 19(4).

1. Tanvir Sidhu

Hi Yiwei,

Thank you for your reflection on this weeks reading. I agree with you, I also found the UBC professors use of Wikipedia quite fascinating where he thought students will be able to have a more active role towards their learning. I think it is always effective to be given the opportunity to work in a group to collaborate and see the different ways in which people are understanding concepts and then be able to go back and reflect upon your own learning. You mention that the learners voice is not amplified in this kind of learning, do you think by using tools such as the Twitter chat that student voices can be heard more? I enjoyed reading your perspective on this topic! Thank you.

Regards,

Tanvir Sidhu