Post # 1

‘What technology should instructors apply to optimize students’ learning outcome?’ was my biggest concern when I was creating a learning design named interactive learning resources in EDCI 335. As the creator of the learning design, I subconsciously assumed that every student could follow the given instruction and progress; however, Stommel argues that ignoring students’ identity as subjective human beings and expecting fixed learning outcomes are problematic. While online learning management systems provide instructors with a platform designed for delivery, the system assumes students’ and instructors’ experiences are always identical. Stommel refutes this assumption by stating that lesson plans and learning experiences apply distinctively with every teacher, student, and situation. (Stommel, 2018) While online courses provide time and location convenience for both learners and teachers, students’ needs can be easily ignored behind the screen. Stommel argues that a more flexible classroom, which allows more interactions, exchanges of information, development of relationships, should be designed.

Stommel then argues that the literacy of using technology is more important than what technology to apply. The core of technology application is to support students and to enhance their learning experience, as instructors, we should aim to how to use technology in the best way instead of searching for ‘best technology application’. I agree with Stommel’s claim that there is no need to distinguish traditional pedagogy with digital pedagogy, nor to improve the delivery of data and learning resources. Both face-to-face pedagogy and digital pedagogy have their advantages and flaws; even the combination of both methods, blending learning, still faces potential challenges. (Regan et al, 2019)The best pedagogy is one that instructors can help students and enhance their learning experience by listening and communicating. The best application of technical support is not a digital product but a willingness and effort in creating and improving learning experience through communications and interactions.

Reference

Stommel, J. (2018). An urgency of teachers: The work of critical digital pedagogy. Hybrid Pedagogy.
 Vaughan, N. D., Garrison, D. R., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2013). Teaching in blended learning environments: Creating and sustaining communities of inquiry. AU Press. [Chapter 1]
 Regan, P., & Jesse, J. (2019). Ethical challenges of edtech, big data and personalized learning: Twenty-first century student sorting and tracking. Ethics and Information Technology, 21(3), 167-179. DOI: 10.1007/s10676-018-9492-2

1. Tanvir Sidhu

Hi Yiwei,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I think you got great experience by having the ability to create an interactive learning resource, for a class in the past. I totally agree with you that not everyone learns in the same way and there should be different ways offered to students so they don’t fall behind, as they may learn better when other tools are incorporated. From my own experience I have realized that when performing tasks online, it can be easier to ignore the activities until last minute, unless there are set deadlines and required interactions amongst students or some kind of group to work with. When you are working with others it is more motivating to get things done because you don’t want to be that one person holding the entire group back (creates more reliability and responsibility); learning experience is also enhanced as there are perspectives, other than your own, to which your eyes are opened to. I think online learning has a lot of potential. However, do you think that every field of study could benefit from this equally, or is open learning better for some subject areas in comparison to others?

When the transition with everything happened in late March, with COVID, I think because professors and students were both not prepared for this, the most difficult part was adapting to the new technology and learning how to use it effectively right before final exams began. Therefore, I definitely agree with your statement, that it’s more important to learn the way students and professors can best use technology; in comparison, to finding the best program/ application for teaching.

I look forward to working with you over the next few weeks!

Regards,
    Tanvir Sidhu